The Angela Boulevard Bridge is a 3-span (84’; 88’; 84’), filled-arch spandrel bridge built in 1940 under the Works Progress Administration, which made it eligible for the National Register of Historic Places. The 268-foot structure crosses the St. Joseph River with a clear roadway of 40 feet and a total deck width of 53 feet.
After conducting an inspection, Lochmueller Group (Lochgroup) analyzed the existing arch rings to see if the posted 15-ton load limit could be modified. It was determined that with rehabilitation, the load limit could be removed. An underwater inspection revealed the bridge was in generally good condition below the waterline.
Rehabilitation of the bridge consisted of removal of the pavement, fill, sidewalks, floor beams, and spandrel wall. The pier stems were repointed to replicate the ornate features of the bridge. Pneumatically-placed mortar was used to repair the outer portion of the rings. New spandrel walls were poured and new floorbeams were placed at the approximate location of the existing beams. The arch was backfilled with new select backfill. A new concrete slab spans the new floorbeams and includes five-foot sidewalks. Decorative concrete Texas railing was used to match the existing railing. In fact, all bridges over the St. Joseph River in the city of South Bend have this railing style.
Construction inspection was also provided for the rehabilitation. Special attention was given to the rise of the arch after the deck load was removed in order to adjust the deck pour screed elevations. Structural calculations were performed to achieve a proper profile grade and to make sure the bridge could tolerate the increased loads of construction equipment.